Thank you for your interest in Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. Within this section you will find information on the qualifications to become a member of our great Fraternity. After you read through the information please fill out the ‘Men Interested in Sigma Inquiry Form” so that we may have a member of the chapter get in contact with you to discuss your interest further
We are an international Brotherhood, chosen by more than 150,000 professional men, who excel at serving in our communities. Our commitment to helping others achieve greatness began on January 9, 1914 on the campus of Howard
University, located in the heart of Washington, DC. Three noble men formed a mighty chain of service excellence that included other distinguished and esteemed scholars. Their goal was to make a positive difference in our society, and it remains the principle goal for Sigma today.
Most Honorable Brothers A. Langston Taylor, Leonard F. Morse and Charles I. Brown began the movement. With “Culture for Service and Service for Humanity” as their motto, this noble trio created a new Fraternity that was able to
champion civil rights, human rights, education and economic development in our communities and on many campuses. Their vision statement, “inclusion rather than exclusion” remains the cornerstone upon which Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. proudly stands!
After more than one hundred years of transforming communities, the Brotherhood has evolved into one of the world’s highest achieving predominantly African-American organizations. We are Men of Commitment, Men of Class and Men of Color! From the classroom to the boardroom, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. continues to “March to Victory!”
The opportunity to create your own personal legacy
• The opportunity to maximize networking for professional development
• The opportunity to maximize networking for social events and social development
• A lifetime and lifelong bonding process with great achievers and believers
• Being an active participant in historical events
• The opportunity to increase positive, personal relationships
• An opportunity to cultivate positive relationships with university officials
• An expanded scope of community service events
• Direct access to an accredited Federal Credit Union
• Direct access to training for personal development
• Personal delivery of international organizational material and publications
• Direct contact with national corporate sponsors
PROGRAMS & INITIATIVES SIGMA WELLNESS Phi Beta Sigma’s program areas of Bigger &Better Business,
Education, Social Action and The Sigma Beta Club. BIGGER & BETTER BUSINESS
• Project S.E.E.D. (Sigma Economic Empowerment Development)
• VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance)
• Sigma Entrepreneur Development EDUCATION
• Fund Raising for Scholarship Presentations
• Advocacy for increased education opportunities
• U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
• March of Dimes - March for Babies & Building Strong Fathers
• American Cancer Society - Relay for Life
• Living Well - Brother to Brother
• Conversation Among Brothers (HIV & AIDS Education)
• I Am My Brother’s Keeper
SIGMA BETA CLUB
• Male Youth Mentoring Program
It is vital to the success of our Fraternity that we identify and train qualified new members who are committed to community service and to the personal and professional ideals upon which our Brotherhood was founded.
Alumni Membership: Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity is limited to professional men that have been granted a baccalaureate degree from an accredited recognized four year college or university. If they have 60 or more credits from a recognized four year college or university this will be considered as well
Collegiate Membership / Minimum Requirements: Enrollment At A Four-Year College Or University At Least A 2.5 Grade Point Average
All Interested Men Three References A History of Community Service Professional, Detail Oriented, Eager To Work, Ready To Serve Civic Minded Payment of All Initiation Fees Completion Of A Background Check Successful Completion Of The Membership Intake Process All New Members MUST Join Through The Chapter At Their College Or University.
New Jersey Hazing Law
2C:40-3. Hazing; aggravated hazing
a. A person is guilty of hazing, a disorderly person’s offense, if, in connection with initiation of applicants to or members of a student or fraternal organization, he knowingly or recklessly organizes, promotes, facilitates or engages in any conduct, other than competitive athletic events, which places or may place another person in danger of bodily injury.
b. A person is guilty of aggravated hazing, a crime of the fourth degree, if he commits an act prohibited in subsection a. which results in serious bodily injury to another person.
Phi Beta Sigma -KUS P.O. Box 341 Willingboro, NJ 08046 us